Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Great Old Ones - Al Azif

I try to do my own thing most of the time, but this atmospheric black metal piece posted by Equivoke was too good for me to keep to myself. Most of my favorite music is fast-paced, but in the past 12 months I've developed a much stronger appreciation for slow, atmospheric stuff -- and I'm glad I did, because it's allowed me to appreciate this band's music!

The Frenchies really know how to make their black metal (just add heroin and stir until misanthropic, heh), and The Great Old Ones are no exception. Based off of the mythology created by H.P. Lovecraft, Al Azif is an album that is cold and dead as the ocean floor. I don't listen to a lot of other atmospheric black metal bands at the moment, so I can't draw as much of a sound comparison as I have in earlier posts, unfortunately. It makes me think of black metal from the depths of the sea. That's about as in depth as I can go. I've included their bandcamp at the bottom so you can preview/purchase this album for those with more money than I. Enjoy!



ARTIST: THE GREAT OLD ONES
ALBUM: AL AZIF 
GENRE: ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL

No comments:

Post a Comment